Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Cheese is not supposed to be orange!

Happy New Year 2013! I know I have been very inactive recently, but since it is the new year I decided to get back on it again. Also, nothing beats exam revision better than procrastination.

Some of you may know that I have been slightly turophobic most of my life. Turophobia is the fear of cheese. So, to mark the new year I have decided that I will get rid of my last and worst bit of turophobia. I will start eating cheddar! Cheddar has always been on top of my cheese hate list, mainly due to the fact that it is quite often orange. Cheese is not supposed to be orange! You will only catch me eating a Quarter Pounder with cheese if I am drunk enough not to care. It is not even the taste of the cheese in the burger, it is purely the colour.

I have started my venturing with mild uncoloured cheddars. I think it is too soon to start experimenting with the colourful ones. I used to make "tea breads" as we called them with this recipe in my early teens. I think they look and taste like cheese scones. They are just easier to make and slightly flatter. No kneading involved. Feel free to use any type of cheese (even the orange type). Emmental or Gruyère would taste wonderful in it.


CHEESE "TEA BREADS"

200 g flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
80 g grated cheese
25 g melted butter
150 ml milk

Turn the oven on at 225 °C. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Melt the butter. Add the melted butter and the milk. Mix the dough and add small bits on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough balls and press flat with your hands. Prick with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with butter and a cup of tea or a glass of cold milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment