Monday, 1 October 2012

Bad Boy Prawns

Happy October! The summer is officially behind us and it is time to start embracing autumn time. Autumn happens to be one of my favourite seasons for various reasons. The weather gets slightly colder, so you can get your leather boots and coats out, but still warm and sunny enough to enjoy the outdoors. In the evenings it gets darker and the candles get light. Wrapping yourself into a big blanket on the sofa needs no excuses. Autumn also produces great food. In the UK all sorts of delicacies are in best season.

Finally this weekend I made it to the Aberdeen Country Fayre. I should have gone earlier in the morning, but they still had some lovely produce left later on in the afternoon. I went there in the search of guinea fowl. Unfortunately no guinea fowl was in sight. I got my hands on these lovely prawns instead. Look at the size of them!


I think I got through preparing them quite well. I was surprised how meaty they were. I am like most other people and usually buy my prawns ready cooked and quite often frozen. Being in Scotland with all the lovely prawns in the sea around us, most of the frozen prawns come from South East Asia. These little bad boys were freshly caught and almost still wriggling when I bought them.


After preparing the prawns I made a simple Asian style marinade for them with a lot of lime, coriander and bird's eye chilies. I have long been planning on making that Sriracha Lime Mayonnaise all foodies are going mad about. Finally I had the perfect accompaniment for the mayonnaise. I also made my own Sweet Chili Soy Sauce. Both of the sauces were very successful and so easy to make. The Sriracha Lime Mayonnaise looks slightly like the classic Marie Rose sauce for seafood. Marie Rose has never been a big favourite of mine. I am so glad I have found this modern alternative. I would definitely use this sauce for making a Prawn Cocktail.


SRIRACHA LIME MAYONNAISE

40 ml mayonnaise
1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
1 tbsp lime juice

Self explanatory really. Add ingredients to a small bowl and mix together until smooth and oh-so-delicious.

SWEET CHILI SOY SAUCE

50 ml Chinese rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped into small strips
1 red and 1 green bird's eye chili
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
4 tbsp soy sauce

Heat up a small saucepan. Add the rice vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil. Once the sugar has dissolved add the ginger, chilies and garlic and let it simmer for a few minutes. Take off the heat and add the soy sauce. Let it cool down and serve.


LIME AND CORIANDER MARINADE

fresh and raw prawns
1 tbsp groundnut oil
juice of 1/2 lime
a handful of chopped fresh coriander
1 red chili, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
a pinch of sea salt

Mix all the ingredient together in a bowl and add the prawns. Let marinade for 5-10 minutes before cooking, but not much more since the prawns will start cooking in the lime juice.


The Boyfriend was very impressed and even said the prawns were one of the best he has ever had. The same recipe goes with defrosted raw prawns. In the future I will probably have to try the frozen prawns, since fresh ones are fairly hard to find. I would also use the marinade and sauces for salmon in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I also live in Aberdeen, and like yourself I love prawns but sadly the supermarkets here don't seem to stock Raw prawns still in their shell. As an avid cook I was wondering if you have any suggestions of where I might find some.

    Yours truly,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luisa! I get my raw prawns from the fishmongers at the Farmers' Market on Belmont Street. Unfortunately the Farmers' Market happens only once a month, on the last Saturday. It is definitely worth a visit! Venison and veal is also sold at a very affordable price.

    ReplyDelete