Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Luncheon at the University

It is a huge event when something new appears on campus. I have always been a big fan of Kilau and visit their café in town fairly often. They have now expanded their takeaway café on High Street into a restaurant café upstairs. The concept is a changing menu every day with two soups, two salads, a pasta and a veggie main. We decided to treat ourselves since it was our last day of our internships. We had booked a table in case it gets busy due to the British Science Festival held on campus.



The ambiance is lovely. Something you would expect to find in an ancient university campus like ours. The upstairs and back garden has been nicely furbished. The upstairs was surprisingly spacious and traditional, but still modern.


We ordered two Salami and Gherkin Salads and a Penne Pasta with Ham, Cheese and Chive. I was in between the two salad options, the other one being a Caprese. I inquired about the type of salami used in the salad, since I know they do a German Salami and Gherkin Baguette. The waiter assured that it was "salami milano style." I was very disappointed when it turned out to be the same German salami they use in their baguettes. Priced at £6.95 the portion was minuscule. It really needed some more body to it. A bit more lettuce and maybe a bit of bread on the side would have done the job. Compared to the salads Kilau serves on Little Belmont Street, this was quite disappointing. I would have loved to see my favourite Bacon and Halloumi Salad also on the campus menu. Nevertheless, my friend was happy with the pasta, which looked like a fair lunch sized portion.



We all had a hole to fill in our stomachs and decided to go for Scones with Jam and Clotted Cream and a Danish Pastry with Apricot. I have to confess that even though I have lived in the UK for three years, I was a "scone virgin" until today. The scones were tasty and a very pleasant experience. Kilau definitely shines more on the baking side of things. We ordered coffees to go with our sweets, but by the time it got to the table it was too cold. Don't get me wrong, I drink my coffee luke warm, but not everyone does.



Altogether it came to a grand total of around £12 per person, which doesn't sound like much, but for a café on campus it is too pricey -- for both students and staff alike. We were hoping for the baguettes to be also served upstairs, but they are only served in the remaining takeaway bit downstairs.



Kilau on High Street has only recently opened its doors. I think with tweaking the menu a bit and lowering the prices it will be a success on campus. Food on campus has not been that great and the new Kilau is a welcomed addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment