Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Hearty and Healthy

Something wonderful has happened. The Boyfriend's lovely grandmother has gifted us a Kenwood food processor. It truly is the best housewarming present for a student foodie. I have already tested it with my foolproof coleslaw recipe and green pea soup. Today it was time for our household favourite -- tomato soup.


I used to dislike tomato soup. I really used to dislike it. All of this because my mother used to make it all the time. When I say all the time I mean every week. Now I absolutely love it though. It is my absolute favourite healthy and cheap midweek eat. I got into it again when I first moved in with the Boyfriend. It happens to be one of his favourite foods. He even loves Heinz tomato soup. It doesn't come as a surprise that his favourite type of tomato soup is the creamy orange tinted sort. I personally prefer a darker and chunkier one with sun blushed tomatoes and a bit of mascarpone. I think this recipe is a good inbetweener and can be tuned to your own taste. Where this soup really gets the taste from is the beef stock. For a vegetarian option substitute with vegetable stock.

I do cheat a bit and make it from tinned plum tomatoes. This mainly because it is much quicker and easier and I always have tinned plum or chopped tomatoes in my cupboard. A real pantry recipe! What makes it even better to serve two people will cost less than £1.


THE BEST & EASIEST TOMATO SOUP

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
400 g tinned plum tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
400 ml water
1 beef stock cube
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp demerara sugar
2 tbsp soft cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

Finely chop the onion, peel and chop the carrot and crush the garlic clove. Heat up olive oil in a soup pan and add onion, carrot and garlic. Saute until onion is soft. Add paprika, Herbes de Provence and tomato puree. Add the plum tomatoes, water and beef stock cube and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add the soft cheese, lemon juice, sugar, salt and black pepper, and blend until smooth. Check the taste and add seasoning if necessary.

Serve with toasted bread, croutons, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or pesto. Basically anything that takes your fancy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment