Saturday, 6 August 2011

Peruvian Pearch

Ok, I am a loser. But also, I have a full time job. Alot has happened since my last post and I just realised that we are already in August. Which means, that I will be back in Aberdeen in less than a month! Cannot wait to get back to my own kitchen!

You might guess, that I haven't been too active on the gastronomic side of my life. My meals have consisted mainly of boring foods and take aways. Going back to the week when the Boyfriend visited Helsinki and we went to the Island to enjoy a bit of seaside life. The boys got fairly into fishing and surprisingly to all of us, they actually caught a few pearches. I must brag a bit and tell everyone that I caught the first and biggest one, which ended up as the main ingredient of a Peruvian Ceviche. I have been craving some ceviche for ages, but you really need some fresh white fish for it. Well the best way is to catch it yourself.

This more modern version of the ceviche was actually created in the 1970s by a Peruvian-Japanese chef Dario Matsufuji. It has a much shorter marinating period than the more classic versions. Sounds a bit like Japanese influences? It also reminds me of the way how in Finland herring and baltic herring are traditionally prepared in vinegar. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it!


PERUVIAN CEVICHE

as many pearches you can catch, in fillets and then chopped into small bits (otherwise around 150-200g fillet of a white fish)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 fresh red chili, finely chopped
juices of 2-3 limes
1 tbsp sea salt
1 avocado, chopped

Chop the red onions and chili. Add to a bowl with the lime juice and salt. Chop the fish fillets into small bits and add to the bowl. Let the fish marinade for 10 minutes in the fridge. Chop the avocado and carefully add to the mixture. Serve with nachos or lettuce as a starter.

I know that I have been dreadful with cooking and writing my blog, but once I get back to my own kitchen... I love summer food back home - all the fresh fish, strawberries, blueberries, new potatoes, spring onions - it's just too good to be true! But I really can't wait to get my hands into some autumn food in Aberdeen.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, ihania maailman ruokia!! Täytyypi kokeilla, varsinkin tätä cevicheä, nam!!

    ReplyDelete