Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Move On Magnolia

It is my second last day of work today and after tomorrow my deed is done. I didn't want to go without remembering my lovely colleagues, so I was baking a storm last night. I have never been a fan of cupcakes, but they just look so pretty and they were fun to make too. The recipe for the Lemon and Cream Cupcakes is from the old baking book I have referred to earlier. I have made these in my teens for picnics and potlucks, but have forgotten the recipe since. It is the perfect cupcake recipe, since it is fluffy, creamy, moist and most of all very unhealthy. For the frosting I used a simple buttercream recipe, with blue food colouring. This is the first time making any frosting. I have made a sort of chocolate fondant for chocolate cakes, but never anything as buttery and sugary as this. When you see the recipe for the buttercream, don't panic. It is a lot of butter and icing sugar, but it looks so pretty.

Now I wish we had visited Magnolia Bakery in New York for the world famous cupcakes, that the Sex and the City ladies love too. We walked past one on Bleecker Street, but we had too many shopping bags and we were too hungry for actual food. They make gorgeous old fashioned cupcakes and baked goods. For a first timer I think I managed to create the look quite well.



LEMON AND CREAM CUPCAKES

150 g butter
150 ml caster sugar
2 eggs
250 ml white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
grated lemon peel of one lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
100 ml double cream

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cream the butter and sugar together, with an electric whisk, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the dry ingredients, until smooth and soft. Add the lemon peel, lemon juice and double cream and mix. Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

250 g butter
500 g icing sugar
4 tbsp double cream
food colouring (optional)

Soften the butter with an electric whisk. Gradually start adding the sieved icing sugar and whisk at the same time. When all the icing sugar has been added and the mixture is smooth, add the cream. If the mixture is too thick, add more cream. If it is too loose add more icing sugar. Add the food colouring in the end if wanted. Fill the piping bag and start decorating. If you don't have a piping bag, you can easily use a spatula and just frost it without any swirls.

I have not been baking in such a long time, that now I'm really getting into it again! I think I need to get myself some pie dishes and cake tins for my kitchen in Aberdeen and get going with it again. I would really like experiment with some marzipan and decorating with frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment