Thursday, 25 August 2011

Cravings

I have been craving quiche all summer. Last summer in Paris I was eating quiches practically every day. Quiche Lorraines with plenty of cream and gruyère and ones with green asparagus and smoked salmon. By the end of the week the lady in the boulangerie on Rue Jean Pierre Timbaud knew me very well. I have always loved a good quiche.

I am spending my last day off before I finish working (does that make any sense?) by cleaning at home. The weather is untypically roasting for the end of August, so a heavy and creamy Quiche Lorraine would not do. I got out my oldest cook book, which is filled with traditional Finnish baking recipies. Without hesitation I decided to make Salmon, Egg and Smetana Pie. It isn't really a quiche since it does not include the classic cream, eggs and cheese mixture, it is more of an open pie. For me it makes no difference since some sort of pie is needed. Luckily I found a ready made rye shortcrust pastry from our freezer. It is the best thing that comes out of the frozen food aisle in Finland. Think of nice buttery and crispy crust, that is significantly healthier than the white flour equivalent. I am not saying that this is a health dish, but it could be worse.


This is a funny savoury pie recipe since it has no cheese in it. When I was younger I detested cheese in any form and that is probably why this specific dish became my favourite. The combination of the rye crust, smoked salmon, fresh leek, boiled eggs, dill and smetana or sour cream is just perfect. I think it is best eaten cold, but you can make your own judgement on this.


LOHIPIIRAKKA OR SMOKED SALMON, EGG AND SMETANA PIE

400 g of shortcrust pastry

For the filling:
200 g smoked salmon
3 boiled eggs
1 leek, washed and chopped
150 g smetana or sour cream
fresh dill, chopped
salt and black pepper

Wash the leek and chop it. Put a dash of water in a saucepan and put the leeks in it. Let the leeks soften for a few minutes. With a fork, gently mash the boiled eggs into smaller bits. Cut the smoked salmon into bits. Mix all the ingredients for the filling and season with dill, salt and black pepper.

Preheat the oven to 225 °C. Press the pastry into a pie dish. With a fork make a few holes to the pastry and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. Take the pie dish out of the oven a put in the filling. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown or dark brown in this case. 


There are more quiche and pie recipies to come. I have only started! The traditional Quiche Lorraine is next on the list, with a Greek style on the way and one with bacon, roasted peppers and caramelized onions. I just need to get that pie dish for my kitchen in Aberdeen...

4 comments: