Monday, 28 March 2011

Teriyaki Goes Scottish

On Saturday morning I had the pleasure to visit the Aberdeen Country Fair for the first time with a fellow foodie. It is such a shame that it is only held once a month on the last Saturday of the month. I got very excited with the variety of fresh meat and fish on offer and came back home with bags filled with fresh Scottish salmon, haddock, venison mince, wild boar sausages and a game stew mix with roe deer, hare, rabbit, pidgeon, partridge and grouse. Why doesn't this amazing fresh meat and fish end up on the shelves of our local Sainsbury's? And I couldn't believe the prices! It was all cheaper than the freaky looking chicken in our local shop - and guarenteed fresh!

I absolutely adore traditional Japanese food, but often cook it myself with a bit of a twist. I have had this idea of Whiskey Glazed Salmon for a while. Nothing is better than Scottish salmon and this delicious marinade really goes with it amazingly!

For starters I made some maki rolls filled with cucumber and sesame seeds, seafood stick and mayonaise and avocado. Surprisingly I have managed to convert the Boyfriend into a big sushi fan and he even does his own rolls!



I served the Whiskey Glazed Salmon with a salad of lettuce, cucumber and avocado with a Japanese Sesame Seed Salad Dressing.



JAPANESE SESAME SEED SALAD DRESSING

50g toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Mix it all together and pour over the fresh salad. This is definately my favourite salad dressing and so easy to make!



WHISKEY GLAZED SALMON

2 salmon fillets
3 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
3 tbsp whiskey (bourbon will do too)
3 tbsp mirin
2 tsp brown sugar
1 inch bit of fresh ginger grated
2 garlic cloves crushed

Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and put the salmon fillets in the bowl and let marinate for 15-20 minutes. Grill the salmon fillets in the oven on full power for 15 minutes or depending on the size of the fillets, until fully cooked.

I am luckily waiting for a new camera, so I can finally get good photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment