Monday, 7 March 2011

Monday Glory

Monday morning! Woke up really happy this morning - I have no university or work today! The sun is shining outside and it feels and smells like spring! Inspired by the amazing weather and good feeling (and the fact that the Boyfriend ate all the toast) I decided to make some focaccia to go with the leftover Spag Bol from last night. What I did realise, when I was raiding the cupboards for dry yeast, is where my student loan has gone. I think this picture says it all...


It is a bit sad to admit that my food and spice cupboards are fuller than my wardrobe. And I still feel that this is just the basics!

I do need to thank the Boyfriend for the perfect 'coming back home from New York' present. I have been using the Magic Machine literally every day since I got it! I have made delicious chimichurri, luscious sundried tomato and tomato soup with torn buffala mozzarella on the top, my own salsas, pasta sauces, etc. I have had it for a week. I do hope that the purchase of the Magic Machine will lure the Boyfriend into the stirring world of cookery.

So, I woke up this morning and decided to make my favourite focaccia. You might call it flatbread or various other names, but I will call it with its original Italian name. This is a recipe I have been making for years now. It is my own recipe, but recipes for focaccias and flatbreads are usually quite simple and similar: water, flour, yeast, olive oil... Nevertheless, it is absolutely delicious and can be used in so many ways!


FOCACCIA

300ml luke warm water
1 sachet of dried yeast or 50g of fresh yeast
1-2 tsp salt (depending on your taste)
1 tsp sugar
700ml plain flour or 350ml durum flour and 350ml plain flour (or as much it takes to get the right consistency)
4 tbsp olive oil

Mix the water and yeast in a bowl until yeast is dissolved. Add salt and sugar. Gradually add the flour mixing firmly until no lumps remain. Keep on kneading the dough in the bowl. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Add the olive oil and knead until the mixture is smooth again.Leave to rest under a clean kitchen towel for 30 minutes. Put the oven on at 220 °C.  Move the dough into an oven dish and put the kitchen towel on top of it, until the oven is ready. Bake in the oven until golden brown (approx. 15-20 minutes). Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sea salt on top (you can see that I am a big fan of Maldon Sea Salt). 

The focaccia is delicious on its own or used to make Bruschettas or as sandwich bread. Salami milano, mozzarella, rocket and olive oil in a focaccia sandwich is a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment