Sunday, 20 March 2011

Mighty Meatballs

I can now say that I have succesfully climbed on top of Bennachie and had a very windy picnic up there. I did end up making the Pressed Sandwiches with pesto, mozzarella, salami and basil and they were goooood! Would definately recommend Bennachie for a wee walk - the views from the top are amazing.

Today I decided to give golf a shot. Since me, the Boyfriend and the Family are going on a holiday to Marbella soonish, we have been thinking about golfing there. The Boyfriend is a very keen golfer and I couldn't really match his talent. Hitting the ball is a good start, but then you have to actually aim it in the right direction! I will need quite a bit more practice before hitting the course in Spain...

Since the Boyfriend was such a darling scrubbing the kitchen all morning, he deserved a treat for tea. Surprisingly one of his favourites is Ikea Meatballs. I have to emphasize that these meatballs are not from Ikea, they are just made to resemble the ones of the Scandinavian furniture giant. Being Scandinavian myself these meatballs remind me strangely of home, although we never had them at home, but only in Ikea! I got the original recipe from BBC Good Food and have kept it almost the same. I do tend to make the mixture for the meatballs in the Magic Machine just to make it extra smooth. Nothing is better on a Sunday night that these meatballs with cranberry jelly or lingon sylt in Swedish.

IKEA MEATBALLS

400g lean pork mince
1 grated onion
1 beaten egg
80g fresh white breadcrumbs
finely chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
400ml hot beef stock

In a bowl, mix the mince with the egg, onion, breadcrumbs, dill and seasoning. Form into small meatballs. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and brown the meatballs. Remove from pan, melt the butter, then sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes, then slowly whisk in the stock. Keep whisking until it is a thick gravy, then return the meatballs to the pan and heat through.

Sprinkle with dill and serve with lingon sylt, and mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Oj då, IKEA meatballs. Looks good! I don't eat meat anymore, so I decided to share my secret, the most simple (and the best ever) meatball recipe with you. Mix 400g minced meat, 2 grated carrot, 1 egg and 1 bag of just-add-water- garlic soup powder. Form into meatballs and fry in a pan or in oven.

    ReplyDelete