Monday, 28 March 2011

I must confess... I am a Locavore!

...or at least I wish I was! It feels like finding fresh local food gets harder and harder. As I told in my earlier post I was lucky to find a farmer's market in central Aberdeen, but it is only held once a month. Being a locavore is quite hard sometimes, as well as expensive and time consuming. As a student the groceries in my basket are not always locally produced.

I visited Paris last summer and was amazed by the food markets that went on for kilometres! In Paris it wasn't a problem finding fresh baguettes and croissants from your local boulangerie, your fresh fruit, veg and meat from your local food market and ofcourse your dessert pastries from your local patisserie. We stayed in a little flat near La République and during those five days ate an amazing amount of croissants and little pastries filled with fruit or berries. This Tarte Fine aux Pommes reminds me of summer in Paris and is a perfect pudding to start spring with! Since I am having a bit of a Scottish cuisine theme, it is served with Mackie's Traditional Ice Cream. I bought some lovely venison mince from the farmer's market on Belmont Street on Saturday and decided to make Venison Burgers. To team up with them I made some Roasted Parsnip Fries. I you have the opportunity to try Heinz's new tomato ketchup with balsamic vinegar - go for it! I could not have imagined that tomato ketchup would go nicely with game.


VENISON BURGERS

400g venison mince
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
toasted buns
lettuce
fried onions
Heinz tomato ketchup with balsamic vinegar

Mix the venison mince, Worcestershire sauce, salt and black pepper together and form into burgers. Fry on a frying pan with a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil. Meanwhile toast the buns and fry the onions. Serve the burgers inside the buns with a bit of lettuce, fried onions and Heinz tomato ketchup. I used the delicious new one with balsamic vinegar!


ROASTED PARSNIP FRIES

3-4 parsnips
2 tbsp olive oil
salt

Wash and peel the parsnips. Cut into thin fries. Put in a roastin tin and drizzle with olive oil and add salt. Roast in a 200°C until golden brown.


TARTE FINE AUX POMMES

300g puff pastry
4 Granny Smith apples
30g butter
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Thinly roll the puff pastry. Wash and peel the apples and cut into really thin slices. Arrange the apple slices in rows. Sprinkle the caster sugar and cinnamon on top of the apples. Dice the butter and put the diced bits of butter on top. Bake in the oven for approx. 20 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

As you have probably noticed these three recipes have very few ingredients and are very simple to make. But boy aren't they delicious! This comes to my ultimate food philosophy which is less is more! Keep it fresh and keep it simple!

And my endless quest to find a good butchers continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment