Monday, 7 March 2011

Food Holidays for Every Day in March?

Looking at the U.S. Commemorative Food Holidays Calendar I'm getting quite confused. Why do the Americans need a Fruit Compote Day? A Banana Cream Pie Day? A Pound Cake Day? Crown Roast of Pork Day? Well I won't be celebrating all of these, that's for sure.

Tomorrow is apparently the International Pancake Day. I was quite surprised walking into our local Spar and finding a whole shelf dedicated to it. Since we already had pancakes on Sunday, I won't necessarily be celebrating it tomorrow (I can't promise that I'll keep away from the pancakes).

Instead I picked up a few interesting days to celebrate this month. The 10th of March is the national 'Pack Your Lunch' Day in the U.S. Will definately do that, since Thursday is a long day at the university and my budget at the moment doesn't allow me to go to Kilau. The 16th of March is the 'Artichoke Hearts Day' - I think this calls for the yummylicious Artichoke Pasta recipe. The 17th of March is 'Corned Beef and Cabbage Day' - love cabbage, hate corned beef. The 18th of March is the 'Oatmeal Cookie Day' - we had an Oatmeal & Cranberry Cookies recipe on our wall at the halls last year, did bake them quite a few times last year. The 22nd of March will be definately celebrating 'Coq au Vin Day' - what an all time favourite! On the 26th of March I could experiment on the Spinach & Feta Omelette, since it's 'Spinach Day'.  I must say that I will skip on quite a few days, such as 'Turkey Neck Soup Day' and 'Coconut Torte Day' - not a big fan of either!

Finally, just to remind everyone, it is also 'National Celery, Flour, Frozen Food, Nutrition, Noodle, Peanut, Sauce and Caffeine Awareness Month' - there's something for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment