Sunday, 6 March 2011

The Official First Post

First post. From now on this is going to be my little wee pet project. A tribute to my love of food, but also a challenge for myself - to be more inventive, try out new things and create amazingly delicious and affordable recipies!

Enough with the intro. There has been alot of fuzz about one certain recipe lately. I need to tell you the story behind it. I recently went to New York, since Miss D currently recides there. What an amazing week it was. Besides all the typical touristic stuff, we really got to experience the real NYC with a local guide. Some food ideas and flavours definately traveled back to Scotland with me. Besides that I came back with quite a few pairs of shoes and an empty wallet. This isn't necessarily the best time to start up a food blog, since my monthly food shopping budget will be quite tiny, but what would be a better challenge! I've got a few things I really want to try, since tasting them in New York. Waiting to be made is Spinach and Artichoke Pizza, inspired by Artichoke Basille's Pizza and Brewery on East 14th Street. Needless to say that Miss D and E both should be here to quality check it, but I will give the task to the Boyfriend. Something I had once and saw on many diner menus was Spinach and Feta Omelette. Why didn't I ever think of making such a delicious omelette for breakfast? Roll on next Sunday breakfast. Something that has already made its way to our hearts is Chipotle's Burrito Bowl. Chipotle Mexican Grill is your typical Tex-Mex fast food place, but their Burrito Bowl made it to my menu here in Scotland. It is quite an obvious recipe, but for me it became instantly a comfort food favourite. Basically the idea of the Burrito Bowl is that you layer everything that you would put in a burrito, but in a bowl - very clever indeed!



















(I do apologise for this being not my Burrito Bowl, but the one we ate at Chipotle.)

BURRITO BOWL
New York Chipotle Style with an Aberdeen Twist

1st layer
CORIANDER & LIME RICE

steamed rice (long grain or maybe even basmati)
chopped fresh coriander
½ squeezed lime
pinch of salt

Boil the rice normally and when cooked, toss in the chopped coriander, lime juice and salt and gently mix it.

2nd layer
GRILLED MEAT

chicken, beef, pork, whatever your heart desires

A quick marinade for chicken:

splash of olive oil
½ squeezed lime
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
salt
black pepper

Let the chicken marinade for 10-15 min and fry until cooked. Serve the chicken sliced in the burrito bowl.

3rd layer
BEANS

tin of pinto beans or black beans (or kidney beans if really can’t find anything else)
splash of olive oil
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tsp cumin powder
pinch of salt

Gently fry the beans in olive oil, with the crushed garlic and cumin powder. Lightly season with salt.

4th layer
SWEET CORN

tin of sweet corn drained and washed on its own

5th layer
TOMATO & JALAPEÑO SALSA

2 fresh tomatoes
approx. 5-10 slices of jalapeño peppers
½ onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
salt

All whizzed up together in a food processor. Alternatively chop all the ingredients and make into a fresh salsa, just leave the ketchup out then and splash a bit of lemon or lime on it – or just go to the shop and buy ready-made salsa.

6th layer
GUACAMOLE

2 ripe avocados
1 garlic clove
½ squeezed lime
1 tsp cumin powder
(2 tbsp sour cream)
salt
black pepper

All whizzed up together with a food processor or hand blender. Season to own taste.

7th and 8th layers
SOUR CREAM AND LETTUCE

The recipe is quite self explanatory really – make it just the way you like it, yummy and spicy! Remember to add a dash of Tabasco sauce on top and serve it on its own or with tortillas or nachos or whatever you fancy.

I know it is very lame to not have a picture of the actual food I made myself for my first recipe post, but trust me, this recipe had been tested and liked very much!

So now my new project has started. I will have to watch Julie&Julia once again for some Julia Child like inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment