Friday, 18 March 2011

Disgrace of a Foodie

I've been a disgrace of a food blogger for the past week. I do apologise for not posting enough and not cooking enough. I am waiting for a new camera, so I can start taking proper food photos.

On Monday I was experimenting with pizza dough. The kitchen was an absolute mess, but the small pizzas and parmesan breadsticks with marinara sauce was amazing! Really worth a try! I had a friend coming over with two bottles of Italian red wine and it ended up being a good night. I went for a few drinks at the Athenaeum (£2.75 for Mojitos, White Russians and Cosmopolitans on a Monday), yummy!

Being a poor student means that I really like big stews, casseroles and chillis that make a tea for a few evenings. Favourite of the week has been a traditional chilli with baked potatoes and a generous dollop of sour cream. Instead of making it in a pan, I let it stew in the oven. This is how I like.

THE CHILI QUE RICO

1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1 whole chopped red chili
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp oregano
(extra chili powder if you like it hot!)
2 tsp brown sugar
500g lean beef mince
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
500ml beef stock
1 tin of kidney beans
salt and pepper to taste

Turn the oven on at 200 °C. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the onion, red pepper, garlic and spices until soft and add sugar. Remove from the pan into a large casserole dish. Fry the mince, add salt and pepper to taste and add to the casserole dish. Add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, kidney beans and salt and pepper in the casserole dish and give it a good stir. Stew in the oven with a lid on for approximately an hour.

Serve with crispy baked potatoes and a generous amount of sour cream. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander. Alternatively wrap in a burrito!

The plan for tomorrow is to go for a wee hike in the lovely Scottish countryside. You might guess that this is just an excuse for picnic food! Thinking about Pressed Picnic Sandwiches with pesto, salami, basil and mozzarella - spotted on TasteSpotting. They remind me of grilled sandwiches I tend to make every summer for long boat trips in the Finnish archipelago. The secret is chili, garlic and basil oil drizzled on the grilled bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment